US Soccer star’s mom says she made an allegation about the head coach of the national team for men Gregg Berhalter.
United States Men’s National Team (USMNT) soccer player Gio Reyna’s mom, Danielle, said Wednesday she was the person who first reported the incident in 1991 with US Soccer men’s head coach Gregg Berhalter and his wife Rosalind.
Reyna has said she informed United States Soccer Federation (USSF) director of sports Earnie Stewart of the incident on the 11th of December in the 2022 Qatar World Cup.
In a statement made public through ESPN as well as Fox Sports, Reyna stated: “I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age.”
Reyna was talking about the recent incident with Gio’s son. fight with Berhalter.
Gio Reyna who is one of the most talented young players in the USMNT team with more than 100 games to his name for Borussia Dortmund at only 20, had unintentionally insignificantly during the tournament in Qatar with no start and only two appearances as a substitute.
Berhalter was dissatisfied with Reyna’s performance prior to the tournament, and was contemplating the possibility of sending him home during the tournament according to several reports.
On Tuesday Wednesday, the USMNT announced that it had appointed a legal team to examine Berhalter on allegations of unprofessional behavior.
Berhalter made a statement via the Twitter page on Tuesday which was signed by his director and wife Rosalind. Berhalter wrote about the brutal 1991 moment Danielle Reyna says she reported to US Soccer.
Berhalter claimed he punched his ex-girlfriend who is now his wife. He called it an “shameful moment” that he “regrets to this day.”
US Soccer star's mom says she reported allegation against men's national team head coach https://t.co/HbkfreLvy6
— Mr Single (@MrSingl66101074) January 5, 2023
The coach who was the head of his team in the US squad in Qatar reported that someone had contacted US Soccer during the 2022 Qatar World Cup and threatened that they would “take me down.” Berhalter did not mention Danielle Reyna in the joint statement.
“People can make mistakes and learn from them; people can also be forgiven for their mistakes,” Berhalter stated in the declaration jointly issued. “Thankfully, Rosalind forgave me.
“The intent behind this declaration is to give an openness and to emphasize the idea that a single mistake made by a teen will not define him for the future. We won’t be ashamed of this. We didn’t do it then nor will we either.”
Berhalter stated that he and his wife have been cooperating with his wife’s involvement in the investigation of the allegations.
“We are embracing this opportunity to share what has shaped us and how much we have grown and learned from this over the past 31 years,” the statement concluded.
US Soccer says it launched the “full review” of the men’s team last month.
The following day, Stewart announced Anthony Hudson will be the interim head of the national team’s men’s coach until the organization evaluates its plans.
Berhalter’s future at US Soccer remains uncertain. He was named to the post in December of 2018.
This week, US Soccer said: “In the past, the normal review of the last 4 years of the whole programme following the conclusion of a World Cup would begin in the summer months, far ahead of any year-end agreement expiration.
“The unique November-December timing of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar significantly reduced the amount of time that the Federation would have to conduct a proper assessment prior to the end of the head coach’s contract.”